F-1 Visa Application Checklist
An international student applying for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad will need to present the following:
- I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form provided by ISSO at UCSF
- Letter of admission provided by Graduate Division or UCSF professional school
- Financial support documents (Current proof of support that would meet expenses for program duration as indicated on Form I-20 (i.e. bank statements, award letters or loan approval letters)
- Passport valid for a minimum of six months into the future at the time of entry
- Form DS-156 “Nonimmigrant Visa Application” available at the Consulate office or the Department of State website evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp
- Form DS-157 “Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application” if the applicant is male and between the ages of 16 and 45. Available at the Consulate office or by clicking here.
- Two photos (see requirements here)
- MRV fee Machine Readable Visa, currently $131 USD
- Receipt for payment of $200 SEVIS Fee
Visa reciprocity fee may be required by home country. For more information, please visit travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm
• Contact the U.S. embassy/consulate in your home country where you are planning to apply for the visa for specific information on appointment wait times and additional F-1 visa application requirements and procedures.