ECFMG Sponsored J-1 Alien Physician
The Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor visas in the J-1 Alien Physician category. International Medical Graduates (IMGs) who wish to participate in U.S. graduate medical training are required to hold this J-1 category. The ISSO serves as the Training Program Liaison (TPL) between UCSF departments and ECFMG.
If your department has selected an IMG to participate in a graduate medical training program, then please follow the steps below. If you wish to continue an existing program, please start at the second step. If you have any questions about the process, please contact Jing Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org or Brian Groves at email@example.com.
1. Please complete the first steps as noted on the GME website at http://medschool.ucsf.edu/gme/aboutucsf/foreign.html: Please note that Canadian graduates of Candian or U.S. medical schools are exempt from the ECFMG certification requirement. Still these participants will need to aquire an ECFMG account number by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. The host department initiates the ISSO application for ECFMG J-1 Alien Physician visa sponsorship by submitting the department and training program information at https://ucsf.us.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5vgfFujupM5w9KJ.
3.. Upon receipt of the request, the ISSO will send a checklist of required documents and fee form for the department to complete.
4. After the department returns the completed documents and fee form, the ISSO will create the ECFMG training profile.
5. Once the training profile is approved by ECFMG, the IMG will receive an e-mail requiring completion of their application through the ECFMG application system (OASIS).
6. After the IMG completes their portion of the application, the ISSO will finalize the application with ECFMG. ECFMG will notify the ISSO of any deficiencies to the application.
7. Once approved, ECFMG will send the IMG's DS-2019 to the ISSO. The ISSO will then forward it to the department or IMG as requested.