Tax Information and Resources
IRS (Federal Taxes) Basic Forms and Publications Listed Below Can Be Downloaded From: http://www.irs.gov
- Form 1040NR and Instructions: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return
- Form 1040NR-EZ and Instructions: U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents
- Form 8843: Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition
- Form 8840: Closer Connection Exception Statement for Aliens
- Form 8233: Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual
- Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Expenses
- Publication 519: U.S. Tax Guides for Aliens
- Publication 901: U.S. Tax Treaties
- Form 8833: Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure
Form 8822: Change of Address
California Franchise Tax Board (California State Taxes) Basic Forms and Publications Listed Below Can Be Downloaded From: http://www.ftb.ca.gov
- California 540NR: California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Form and Instructions
- California 540: California Personal Income Tax Booklet
Website Information and Resources:
Glacier Tax Prep
International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) purchases this software licensing agreement, a web-based tax return preparation program designed exclusively for international students, scholars, and their dependents who are nonresident aliens to help prepare U.S. federal income tax forms. Glacier password will be provided by request and at the annual tax workshops hosted on campus.
IRS website assistance:
http://www.irs.gov/help/page/0,,id=133197,00.html and http://www.irs.gov/help
The IRS has set up this web page on which a taxpayer can submit an international tax question by email.
IRS Telephone assistance
- To leave a message with a general international tax question call 1-800-829-1040. Make sure to leave a contact number.
- For International Tax Questions call 1-215-516-2000. This is not a toll-free number and is available from 7:00am to 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time.
- To order forms and publications from previous years call 1-800-829-3676.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE): http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/vita/sites.asp
VITA volunteer sites provide assistance to taxpayers regardless of age. TCE volunteer sites devote special attention to those taxpayers 60 years of age or older. On their website you will be able to search for the addresses of sites where IRS and FTB trained volunteers prepare basic personal income tax returns for low to moderate income taxpayers free of charge.
The University of Texas, Austin:
This web site provides a guide to the forms and procedures for filing your Federal taxes. The site does not include information about California state taxes. Many thanks to the UT, Austin International Office for this resource!
The Guide will help you to:
- Determine if you are required to file a tax return;
- Determine which form or forms you should file;
- Understand the filing instructions; and
- Prepare and submit your own federal tax forms.
The UC Office of the President
Tax information specific to tax issues for persons paid by the University. You can find this information at Windstar Technologies, Inc.:
This commercial site has useful articles and guidance for student and scholar tax responsibilities and tax filing. The articles on the linked page are free to the public. However, access to other resources on this website require a paid subscription.
Tax Aid (a nonprofit organization site):
This program offers free tax assistance Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30. It is open to all families and individuals with total gross incomes of less than $38,000. They have locations all over the Bay Area and translation assistance in Spanish, Mandarin, and Cantonese.