E-3 Dependents

Spouses and children may apply for E-3 Dependent (E-3D) visas. E-3 spouses are entitled to work in the United States with a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Upon admission to the United States in E-3 status, they may apply for an EAD through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). It generally takes about 3 months for USCIS to adjudicate the application. The spouse may not begin work until they receive the EAD card. Dependents are not required to be employed in a specialty occupation.

Your spouse can be of any nationality to apply for work authorization as an E-3 dependent. In addition, your spouse does not need to meet the bachelor’s degree requirement or have a sponsoring employer.

Extended Family and Domestic Partners
Extended family members (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) and domestic partners are not eligible to come to the U.S. as dependents in E-3 status. They must apply for a B-1/B-2 Visitor visa, or come to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.