H-4 Dependents

Dependents of H-1B employees (spouses or children) can be in the U.S. in H-4 visa status.

• The H-4’s status is contingent upon the continued validity of the
   H-1B’s status.
• H-4 dependents are not allowed to work while in the U.S.
• When H-4 dependent children turn 21, they are no longer  
  considered “children” under I.N.A. In this case, they must change 
  to another nonimmigrant status.

If dependents are in the U.S., ISSO can submit the H-4 application together with the H-1B at the time the H-1B is filed. Please visit our FORM tab for:

Form I-539 for H-4 Application

Extended Family and Domestic Partners
Extended family members (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) and domestic partners are not eligible to come to the U.S. as dependents in H-4 status. They must apply for a B-1/B-2 Visitor visa, or come to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.