Initial H-1Bs

Important! You must check in at their Human Resources (HR) Service Provider in person upon arrival at UCSF with your passport before you can perform any functions relating to your program. Locate your HR provider based on your UCSF Department Name online.

There are two options for international scholars to obtain H-1B status for authorized employment with UCSF:

INITIAL H-1B BY CONSULAR PROCESSING: In general, if a scholar is abroad, s/he must apply for a valid visa stamp at U.S. Embassy/Consulate. This will enable the scholar to enter the U.S. and begin employment. H-1B regulations allow scholars to enter the U.S. a maximum of 10 days in advance of the H-1B validity date. Work may begin on or after the validity date of the H-1B approval notice.

ISSO will send the required documents including the H-1B approval notice and a copy of the H-1B filing to the scholar abroad. The scholar is to present these documents, along with any additional forms required by the appropriate U.S. Embassy/Consulate in order to obtain the H-1B visa. Please visit the appropriate Embassy/consulates for more information at

Scholars should visit the appropriate embassy or consulate website to receive specific information on appointment wait times as well as any additional H-1B visa application requirements and procedures.

INITIAL H-1B BY CHANGE OF STATUS: If a scholar is changing status from a nonimmigrant visa status to an H-1B, the scholar must remain in the U.S. while the change of status application is pending with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once the change of status application is granted by the USCIS, the scholar's status will automatically change to H-1B on the start date as shown on the approved I-797. Scholar must check-in with Human Resources the first day of his/her H-1B employment.