An international student applying for a J-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad will need to present the following:
- DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility Form provided by ISSO at UCSF
- Letter of admission provided by Graduate Division or UCSF professional school
- Financial support documents (Current proof of support that would meet expenses for program duration as indicated on Form DS-2019 (i.e. bank statements, award letters or loan approval letters)
- Passport MUST be valid for a minimum of six months into the future at the time of entry
- Form DS-160. Go to travel.state.gov and type "DS-160" in the search box to find this form.
- Two photos (see requirements here).
- Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee
- Visa reciprocity fee may be required by home country. For more information, please visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html
- Receipt for payment of SEVIS fee