Travel Advisory

All international students and scholars must have proper visa documents to be able to travel in and out of the United States.

It is important to understand what you must bring with you when you enter or exit the U.S. to avoid any unnecessary delay at the port of entry.

At any point of time, don’t hesitate to contact ISSO if you have any questions or would like your international advisor to check your travel documents.

Initial Travel to the United States
Any international students and scholars (except Canadians*) coming to UCSF for study, teaching and research must first obtain proper documents to apply for a non-immigrant visa based on his or her purpose of visit. The following visa types are most frequently used at the UCSF:

  1. B-1 for business
  2. F-1 or J-1 visa for students
  3. J-1 for exchange visitors
  4. H-1B for temporary workers
  5. O-1 for people with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts and athletics
  6. TN for Canadians and Mexicans
  7. E-3 for Australians

*Although Canadians don’t need a visa, they must have proper immigration documents for entering the U.S. such as I-20 (F-1 student), DS2019 (J-1 student or scholar), I-797 H-1B, O-1, or TN petition approval notice, and a valid passport or other official documents for proof of citizenship.

Leaving and Re-entering the U.S.
Foreign visitors to the U.S. arriving via air or sea must now fill out an Electronic I-94 Form online.  CBP now gathers travelers’ arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records. Because advance information is only transmitted for air and sea travelers, CBP will still issue a paper form I-94 at land border ports of entry.

To re-enter the U.S. after a temporary departure, you must have proper documents, a valid visa, and passport. Please review your visa type Travel Check List before your departure from the U.S.

F-1 Travel Check List

J-1 Travel Check List

H-1B Travel Check List