J-1 Student Non-Degree
This J-1 category is used by UCSF to sponsor international students who have been admitted to a prescribed, non-degree academic program with a specific educational objective. Such a course of study may include classroom instruction, and research projects.
- Admitted to a UCSF academic study or research program for a prescribed course of study.
- Have adequate knowledge of English to successfully complete the program.
- Maintain health insurance for self and J-2 dependents for the duration of the program.
- Demonstrate appropriate funding for self and spouse for the entire length of program.
- Significant amount of funding (51%) must come from non-personal source. See below.
A non-personal source could be a home institution, employer, national or local government grant, scholarship or fellowship.
Some possible funding sources are below: