Other Visa Categories

Understanding U.S. visas can be very complex and difficult. Depending on the purpose of your visit in the U.S., you will be classified under either 1) immigrant visa category or 2) nonimmigrant visa category. 

Besides H-1B and J-1, some other common non-immigrant visa categories sponsored by UCSF are: 

 B-1 & B-2 Visitor Visa

 E3: Work visa for citizens of Australia

 F-1 Optical Practical Training (OPT)

 O-1 & O-3: Extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education,        Business, or Athletics

 TN: Trade visa for citizens of Canada and Mexico

Immigrant visas are for those who intend to stay in the U.S. permanently. See "Permanent Resident" for additional information.