Family Resources


One of the most important determinants in whether your transition to the U.S. will be smooth or not, is making sure that your spouse is well cared for. This means that he or she will need to have his or her own support system and activities outside of the University.

If your spouse is interested in taking classes only for recreation, there are many colleges and universities in the Bay Area, but they can be expensive when paying out-of-state tuition. A good alternative is the free non-credit courses offered at City College of San Francisco, including free non-credit English language classes. Please check their website or visit the campus at:

City College of San Francisco
50 Phelan Ave San Francisco, CA 94112
(415) 239-3003

English Language Programs
Please visit our English Language Programs page for more information.

J-2 Employment
Federal regulations prohibit employment for all dependent visa types except for J-2 visa holders (dependents of J-1 visa holders). Although J-2s are free to seek employment anywhere they like, the purpose of the employment should be for cultural enrichment and should not be based on financial need. For more information on J-2 employment work authorization, please visit J-2 Work Permit.