In general, an international scholar or student applying for a J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad will need:
- UCSF Certificate of Eligibility form DS-2019
- UCSF appointment letter or proof of admission to UCSF
- Evidence of your financial support as indicated on Form DS-2019
- Passport (valid at least six months beyond DS-2019 end date)
- Visa application forms and fees (vary according to consulate)
- Receipt for payment of $180 SEVIS fee
- Be prepared to explain briefly your UCSF project in general, non-technical language.
Some consulates may require additional documentation, so check the consulate web site for visa application instructions. Visa application forms and fees can be also be found on the consulate web site.