Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to file a tax return if I had no U.S. earned income or scholarships for 2013?
Yes. You and your dependents must file Form 8843.

Do I have to file Form 8843 if I arrive in 2013 but I didn’t work?
Yes. If you were in the U.S. for one day in 2013 you must file form 8843.

Do I have to file if I only made a little in 2013?
Possibly. If the total sum of your U.S. source income was less than the personal exemption you are not required to file IRS Form 1040NR-EZ or form 1040NR. However, if you had any taxes withheld, you should file IRS Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR to get a refund of these taxes and you must still file Form 8843.

What do I do if my spouse and dependent child do not have a Social Security number?
For dependents not eligible for a Social Security number, you must apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Complete Form W-7 and submit along with the required supporting documents to an IRS office located in San Francisco. Completed Form W-7(s) and supporting documents are then submitted with your tax return. ITIN is for tax filling purposes only.

May I file my taxes now if I already received my W-2 for the wages I earned in 2013?
Not necessarily. If you are from a country which has a tax treaty with the US, or you received U.S. based scholarship or fellowship, you may also receive Form 1042-S from payroll.

What is Form 1042-S?
If you received a scholarship or fellowship, or if you had wages that were exempt from federal taxes because of a tax treaty, you will receive this form which records this information. This form is required to file your tax return.

What is the deadline for filing my tax return?
If you’re filing Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR, the deadline to file is April 15.

How do I access CINTAX?
If you receive a check from UCSF and have a GLACIER account, go to
If you do NOT receive a check from UCSF and do NOT have a GLACIER account, go to
Enter Password: contact [email protected] for the password

Do I need to file a tax return for the state of California? Unlike federal rules, California does not require tax returns from those who have little or no income. However, non-residents are taxed on income derived from sources within California. See any California state tax form for specific rules and guidelines on "Who Must File." Otherwise, those whose California state tax filing status is:

  • resident -- file California Tax Form 540.
  • non-resident -- file California Tax Form 540-NR