New International Students

Welcome to UCSF!

Now that you have been admitted to USCF, you will need to obtain your visa documents. We at the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) are here to help you throughout that process.

ISSO will be your one-stop shop — from acquisition of your first visa, to cultural adjustment, to obtaining employment authorization during and after your academic program at UCSF.

If you have not yet been accepted and would like to know more about UCSF and how to apply, please visit our site for prospective students.

Which Visa is Right for Me?

Our Which Visa is Right for Me? page can help you understand the difference between the F-1 and J-1 visa, including important benefits and requirements associated with both.

F-1 Visa Information

The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa which permits an international student to come to the United States temporarily to pursue full-time academic studies in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, and in language training.

F-1 Student Visa Checklist - The documents and fees required to apply for your non-immigrant visa stamp once you have your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019)

Financing your Studies - Information on how you can pay for your program if you are not supported by UCSF.

Transfer Students - Once admitted to UCSF and you are already in F-1 or J-1 status in the USA, here are the steps required to transfer your F-1 or J-1 status to UCSF.

Departure Checklist - The documents needed and the preparation necessary for your departure to, and arrival in San Francisco.