The following information will guide prospective scholars through the process of being invited to conduct research or teach at UCSF.
For individual scholars interested in conducting research or teaching at UCSF:
- Visit the UCSF website to identify the Department and specific Professor that you would like to work with
- Once you have located the Department that you will work with, and the Professor has agreed to work with you, your Department will work with UCSF's Human Resources (HR) to set up an academic appointment for your UCSF position
- Once HR has confirmed the academic appointment, HR will submit visa request paperwork to our office. Please note that our office is unable to initiate the visa request paperwork if HR has not submitted the appointment paperwork to ISSO
For prospective scholars and exchange coordinators looking to set up an exchange agreement with UCSF:
- Work directly with the UCSF host department to locate open positions and to identify whether the department is open to setting up an international partnership and affiliation agreement. Learn more about UCSF international partnership and affiliation agreements.
- Once the scholar and exchange coordinator have confirmed the Department that the scholar will work with, and the Professor has agreed to work with scholar, the Department will work with UCSF's Human Resources (HR) to set up an appointment for the position
- Prospective scholars and exchange coordinators must work in parallel with the UCSF EVCP office to develop an International Partnership and Affiliation agreement and the Department to secure the UCSF academic appointment
- Once an academic position and partnership agreement has been secured, HR will submit visa request paperwork to ISSO. Please note that our office is unable to initiate the visa request paperwork if HR has not submitted the appointment paperwork to ISSO
Anticipate extended processing times when an international partnership and affiliation agreement is involved. Be sure to work with UCSF's EVCP office to determine the timeline required to secure an exchange agreement.