Having a Child in the U.S.

To apply for an American passport for your newborn child, you will need the following documents:

  • Birth certificate of the child (request it immediately after the birth of the baby). The U.S. address is on the hospital document you receive after the delivery.
  • Social security number of the child
  • Identical pictures of the child
  • Passport application/Execution fees
  • ID or Passport of the mother or father
  • Application Form (from the post office)

Paying for the Passport

  • Credit Cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) Debit/Check Cards
  • Checks (personal, certified, cashiers, Travelers), payable to the “U.S. Department of State”
  • Money orders (U.S. Postal, international, currency exchanges) and bank drafts, payable to the “U.S. Department of State.”

You and your child must apply in person at designated sites in San Francisco. It takes at least 4 to 6 weeks to receive the passport in the mail. For more updated information on required documents and fees, please visit the Department of State website.

Child Services

UCSF Child Care Referral Service: This service is available to all UCSF students, staff and faculty. It assists in locating daycare, preschools, after school programs and summer camps in addition to providing information about a variety of other family-related resources.

Children's Council of San Francisco: For 30 years, the Children's Council of San Francisco has been working to improve the well being of children, parents, families, and child care providers, and to make affordable, high-quality child care a reality for all working families. Provides information and referrals on licensed family day-care homes and centers, cooperatives, and in-home care agencies. They also have listings for children's activities and support groups for parents.