Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

What is an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)?

The ITIN number (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is for individuals who are required to have a taxpayer identification number for tax purposes, but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration.

Who is eligible for the ITIN?

F-1 visa holders who are not working but are receiving fellowship stipends need to apply for an ITIN to receive their stipends.  J-1 students, as well as F-1 students who are employed (ie. TAs/RAs, other student workers), and J-1 scholars, are NOT eligible for an ITIN. They must apply for a SSN at the Social Security Administration.

What constitutes a complete ITIN application?

  1. A completed W-7 Form (signed and dated)
  2. Notarized copy of original passport bio page
  3. The letter or official notification from the University, awarding scholarship, fellowship, or grant
  4. A letter from the Designated School Official (DSO) on official letterhead, stating that you will not be securing employment in the U.S. or receiving any type of income from personal services. Please obtain this letter from the International Students and Scholars Office.
  5. Notarized copy of your I-20, I-94 Form, and visa stamp

For the latest mailing instructions, please visit:


It takes approximately 6 weeks for the IRS to process and issue an ITIN number, which will be sent to you by mail. Any inquiry regarding your application status should be directed to the IRS hotline at 1-800-829-1040.