New International Scholars

Congratulations and welcome to UCSF!

Now that you have an academic appointment at USCF, you will need to obtain your visa documents. We at the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) are here to help you throughout that process.

ISSO will be your one-stop shop — from acquisition of your first visa, to cultural adjustment, to obtaining employment authorization during and after your academic program at UCSF.

If you have not yet obtained an academic appointment at UCSF, please see our prospective scholars page for more information on how to find an academic department.

General Information

How to Obtain a J-1 or H-1B Visa - Steps to obtain your J-1 or H-1B visa at the US embassy or consulate abroad.

Onboarding and Orientation - Steps required upon arriving in San Francisco to establish your legal status.

J-1 Visa

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visas at UCSF - Steps to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor DS-2019.

Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) at UCSF - Information for trainees interested in graduate medical training at UCSF.

H-1B Visa

H-1B Employees at UCSF - An overview of the H-1B visa and how to obtain H-1B visa status at UCSF.

UCSF Campus H-1B Work Flow - Information on the steps that need to be completed in order to transition into H-1B visa status at UCSF.

H-4 Dependents - Information for H-1B visa holders who which to acquire H-4 visa status for their dependents.