New Students and Scholars

If you have not been admitted to UCSF as a student and would like to know how to apply for admittance, please visit our page for Prospective Students.

If you have not received an invitation to research or collaborate at UCSF, please visit our Prospective Scholars page for more information on how to become an international scholar at UCSF.

New International Students

International students are matriculated at UCSF, enrolled in full-time courses, and are generally seeking a Master’s or PhD degree or certificate. UCSF can sponsor international students on an F-1 or J-1 visa depending on the academic program they are admitted to and the nature of their funding.

Here you can find information about the differences between the F-1 and J-1 visa, how to finance your studies, how to obtain your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019), and how to transfer your F-1/J-1 visa if you are already in the USA.

If you have been admitted to UCSF as a student and would like to know more, please visit our New International Students page.

New International Scholars and Trainees

International scholars are not enrolled in a degree or certificate program at UCSF. Instead, they are holding an academic title such as Postdoctoral Scholar, Specialist, Faculty or Visiting Student/Scholar. Trainees and Clinical Fellows are also categorized as "International Scholars" at UCSF. Our New International Scholars page contains the information you need to get started with the visa process.