J-2 Dependents

If you are or will be in J-1 status, your legal spouse and children under age 21 may be eligible for J-2 status, and may join you during your J-1 program at UCSF.  If your initial J-1 application includes your dependents, there is no additional fee associated with obtaining their J-2 eligibility forms DS-2019. 

If you have already arrived in the USA and wish to bring your dependents along after, there is a $268 fee (which can be paid by you or your department).  To request a Dependent Certificate of Eligibility DS-2019 (J-2) from International Students and Scholars Office, please complete the J-2 Request Form and Fee Form, and turn them in to our office along with financial proof of sufficient funding such as a bank statement, a job offer with salary, or funding from any other sources. Please check the Current Minimum Financial Support page for the amount of funding required . Once we receive all required materials, a new DS-2019 form will be prepared for each of your family members.

You must deliver these documents to your family (either by mail or in person) so they can make a visa appointment. Please visit U.S. Department of State website to find the U.S. Embassy in your home country for visa application.

Same Sex Spouses
U.S. embassies and consulates will adjudicate visa applications that are based on a same-sex marriage in the same way that heterosexual applications are adjudicated. Please refer to the specific guidance on the visa classification for which you are applying for more details on documentation required for spouses.

Extended Family and Domestic Partners
Extended family members (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) and domestic partners are not eligible to come to the U.S. as dependents in J-2 status. They must apply for a B-1/B-2 Visitor visa, or come to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.

To facilitate the process of applying for a visa:

1. Write a letter of invitation
Include the purpose of the visit, your relationship to the individual, a statement of your status here and the length of time they will be visiting (usually less than three months). If the individual has a job to which they plan to return, it is good to mention it. If you plan to provide for their support while they are here, include that information as well.  You may use this TEMPLATE to construct your letter.

2. Obtain a Letter of Verification
Graduate students can request a letter from their department explaining that they are in good standing that you intend to return to your home country at the end of your studies.

Scholars can request a letter from the departmental staff person who assists visiting scholars or host professor which indicates that you are a scholar in good standing in the department, your reason for being here, that you wish to return to your home country at the end of your research or teaching, and, if applicable, the amount of funding being provided by the department.

3. Financial support
If you are not being paid a salary by the university, request a financial statement from your bank that shows you have sufficient funding to support yourself and your family members during their visit.

Providing your family members with all of the above papers may improve their chances of obtaining a visa. However, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of your family's request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.