Sample Change of Status Cover Letter


Dear U.S. Department of Homeland Security Official:

I am currently in the U.S. holding a _____ visa and would like permission to change my visa to F-1 student. I entered the U.S. in a non-student status in order to __________________(describe your activity/intention at the time of entry.) I decided to apply for admission to the University of California, San Francisco in _____________(month/year) and was admitted for graduate study in ____________ (month/year).

I intend to enroll full-time and would like to complete my (MS, DDS, PhD) degree in ________________ to _________________________. I do not wish to leave the U.S. at the present time to change my status because I would suffer the following hardship: _____________________ _____________________________________________________________.

Please find my I-539 application, I-20, I-94, and supporting materials. My permanent address abroad is: _____________________________. My address in San Francisco is: ______________________________.

Your assistance and prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.